The Handwashingforlife Institute is devoted to advancing the science of hand hygiene with the purpose of reducing the incidence of foodborne illness caused by poor hand hygiene practices.
To achieve this objective the Institute's activities are focused on:
- Identifying and promoting existing Best Practices as they relate to:
a. Design of handwashing stations.
b. Equipment used to insure handwashing efficiency.
c. Supplies used to insure handwashing efficacy.
d. Training of foodservice workers in hand hygiene.
e. Training of foodservice management in hand hygiene.
- Operational effectiveness, stressing preventative measures wherever practical.
- Conducting & supporting research and in-field studies to improve on existing Best Practices. This includes:
a. In-house research initiated by Institute members.
b. Third party research deemed significant to advancing the science.
- Advocating hand hygiene laws, regulations and policies with the appropriate authorities to insure effective, pragmatic and affordable solutions. This includes:
a. Lobbying for changes to ineffective regulations.
b. Providing objective input into proposed regulations.
c. Lobbying for new regulations in high-risk situations.
- Insuring Institute resources are available to support work of regulators, operators, manufacturers & suppliers throughout the world. This includes:
a. Establishing a local presence in 5 major regions:
* North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Australasia.
b. Active use of global communication media.